• Q:  What is dual enrollment?
    A:   Dual enrollment allows students to enroll in community college classes and may earn college credit toward their diploma, experience college-level coursework, and receive credit toward their college degree. 
    Q:  Why should students consider dual enrollment?
    A:  Students can receive the following benefits from participating in dual enrollment:
    •  Introduction to and preparation for college life
    •  Ability to explore interests, careers, and majors
    •  Opportunity to build skills that are needed in the workforce
    •  Motivation to stick with it and pursue a college degree or certificate
    •  Understanding the benefits of college education
    •  Accelerated pathway through college that can save time and money
    Q:  What are the requirements for students enrolled in a private school or students who are home-schooled?
    A:   Private school or home-schooled students typically follow the same steps in applying to dual enrollment as a student from a public high school. Students should check with their high school or adult education counselor or contact their local college campus for guidance on enrollment requirements.
    Q:  Can students who are 18 years of age or older and still enrolled in high school be admitted to community colleges under the general admissions provisions?
    A:  Students who are 18 years of age or older and still enrolled in high school may be admitted to community college under general admissions, dual enrollment, or special admission. Students should check with their local community college to see which provision is best for them.
    Q:  Are dual-enrollment students eligible for priority registration?
    A:  Students enrolled in certain dual enrollment programs -- College and Career Access Pathways (AB 288 Programs) or Middle College High School – may be assigned priority registration under Enrollment Tier III and receive an earlier appointment to register for classes. 

    Q:  Can international and undocumented students participate in dual enrollment?
    A:  Both international and undocumented students can enroll in dual enrollment courses, but they may be required to pay non-resident fees. College boards may be able to waive these fees for special admit part-time students who meet certain requirements. Contact your local college to discuss your status and to discuss a possible fee waiver.
    Q:  Can a student attending a noncredit or adult education high school or equivalency program participate in dual enrollment?
    A:  Yes, with SB 554 becoming effective on January 1, 2020, legislation expanded dual enrollment to include students attending a noncredit or adult education high school diploma or equivalency program.
    Q:  What should students and/or parents need to know before participating in dual enrollment?
    A:  Dual enrollment offers many benefits, such as a chance to begin college early, master college-level coursework, and learn to navigate the college environment. However, students and parents should know the following:
    ·  The grades earned in dual enrollment courses will be part of the permanent student record and college transcript. Poor grades in dual enrollment courses can hurt students’ chances of receiving financial aid as well as their eligibility to enroll in a four-year college or university. 
    ·  Dual enrollment courses may count toward a total unit cap on financial aid or course enrollment limits.
    ·  Students might be responsible for expenses such as textbooks and supplies, transportation to and from campus, and meals while attending courses on campus. Students interested in dual enrollment should speak with a counselor at the high school or adult education school they are currently attending prior to enrolling to determine if the program is right for them.

    Want more information? Talk with your high school guidance counselor today to see what Clear Lake High School classes offered are dual enrollment.

    *for more information on dual enrollment Dual Enrollment